Sunday, February 12, 2012

Photo Inspiration: Vintage Photo

The original photo can be found here.

This well-posed photo is a great example of how an artistic touch can be added to a picture with the right curves adjustments using gimp.  These colors were most likely added much like I added similar colors in my tutorial on how to use gimp to create a retro effect. 

I also think this photo has a very nice darkened touch around the edges. This could easily be done with an overlay layer and a few gradients around the edges much like I did with my moving train background tutorial.  of course I am referring to these steps:

Hide all layers except for the background layer.

Create a new layer above all the rest, set its layer to overlay.

Set your foreground and background colors to black and white by clicking the button in the bottom-left corner of your tool palette.

Click on the blend tool (shortcut key: L)

Set the gradient to “FG to Transparent”

Darken the sides by creating 4 gradients over each of the four sides of the photo.  Hold in control to keep your gradient line straight.

Set the layer mode to overlay.

1 comment:

  1. Keep on dear... Very nice tut.. Get more tutorial at : http://veeraworks.yolasite.com/tutorials.php

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
I teach people how to use gimp with gimp video tutorials, as well as gimp text tutorials. I also work with Photographers by offering photo-editing services.